Visa introduced the Visa Integrity Risk Program (VIRP).
By CommerceGate, Press Team
3 minutes read
On May 1st, 2023, Visa introduced the Visa Integrity Risk Program (VIRP), which included updated requirements for acquirers and their designated agents to support High-Integrity Risk merchants, replacing Visa's Global Brand Protection Program.
The VIRP introduced new High-Integrity Risk categories, including MCCs
- 6012 – Financial Institutions—Merchandise, Services, and Debt Repayments,
- 6211 – Security brokers, dealers,
- 5968 – Direct marketing subscription merchants;
To comply with VIRP requirements, merchants falling under these MCCs must register within 60 days of notification, with an initial non-refundable application fee of USD 500 and an annual renewal fee of USD 500.
Here’s a comprehensive list of all VIRP High-Integrity Risk MCCs:
- MCC 5967: Direct Marketing—Inbound Teleservices Merchant Adult content and services (ie. website subscriptions and video streaming);
- MCC 7273: Dating and escort-related Services (ie online ads that include escort services or dating websites);
- MCC 7995: Betting, including Lottery Tickets, Casino Gaming Chips, Off-Track Betting, Wagers at Race Tracks, and games of chance to win prizes of monetary value;
- MCC 5122: Drugs, Drug Proprietaries, and Druggist Sundries including Sales of prescription-required drugs;
- MCC 6051: Non-Financial Institutions—Foreign Currency, Non-Fiat Currency (for example Cryptocurrency), Money Orders (Not Money Transfer), Account Funding (not Stored Value Load), Travelers Cheques, and Debt Repayment;
- MCC 6012: Financial Institutions—Merchandise, Services, and Debt Repayment;
- MCC 4816: Computer Network/Information Services;
- MCC 5816: Digital Goods—Games (ie games of skill such as fantasy sports gaming where consumers pay a fee for the game itself or in-game services and the outcome of the game is determined by skill instead of luck);
- MCC 6211: Security Brokers/Dealers;
- MCC 5966: Direct Marketing—Outbound Telemarketing Merchant;
- MCC 5968: Direct Marketing—Continuity/Subscription Merchant;
- MCC 5993: Cigar Stores and Stands.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact your CSM manager.